Followers

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

blog-a-holic

Hello - My name is Charlene and I am a blog-a-holic!

I have not posted much lately as I have been too busy reading other blogs, clicking links from blogs and becoming absorbed in the lives of other bloggers.

I have decided that I am going to turn this blog into more a day to day blog in which I will incorporate my crafty activities (if any happen) and also share with you my family and the beautiful area in which I am currently living... Exmouth Western Australia... and any subsequent places that we may visit or move to.

If you are reading this blog - you are probably not aware that I suffer from depression. I have suffered from depression off and on most of my adult life - but since May 2007 when we moved to Exmouth I have felt myself slip into a state of helplessness and self pity.

I don't want your sympathy - that is not what this post is about - rather I am seeking your support as for however long it takes I am going to take each day as it comes - accept any negative feelings that I may or may not have and try to focus on any positive events that I can - grasp these positive things with both hands and move forward.

Exmouth is an extremely iscolated community - If you go have a look at a map of Australia you will see a little finger jutting out of the side of Western Australia - Exmouth is located almost on the tip of that...

It is hard for people to comprehend unless they have been here but we are hundreds of kilometres from the nearest towns... Carnarvan is a 3.5-4 hour drive south and Karratha is a 5 hour drive North. Exmouth has basic services and facilities.... but no major supermarkets, no department stores, no fast food chains - you get the drift. It has taught us a valuable lesson on what we once took for granted.

Alot of people that live in Exmouth suffer iscolation sickness...

I have not made friends in the time that we have lived here... its a very small town with a population of around 2250 permanent residents... This figure swells to something like 8000 during tourist season (May till Oct) as Exmouth is a very popular tourist destination - not only for grey nomads and Australians but also international tourists and backpackers.

Why? Exmouth is an extremely beautiful area. We have sublime beaches, lots of native wild-life (Emu's, Kangaroos and Echidna's) that roam freely about the streets. It was such a novelty when we first moved here and saw our first Emu strolling down the street... I must also mention all the horrible creepy crawlies that Exmouth has inclusive of the venomous snakes - yuk - they make my blood run cold especially the 3 that have made visible visits to our yard....

Exmouth experiences hot weather all year round... and although this sounds like a good thing - I am desperately missing seasons. Lets face it 5 months of temperatures that are over 40 degrees celscius (104 farenheit) is a bit hard to take.

All I can say is thank goodness for air conditioning!!!

4 comments:

Leonie said...

I must say that I don't envy those temperatures (although it can get that hot here at times), but I might change my tune when it gets grey and dreary here. I have a feeling that it was you who told me (about 9-10 years ago) on the 123stitch message boards about xsers when it was an egroup. I have to thank you for that!

Leonie

Daffycat said...

***giggle*** I'm a blog-a-holic too! Some days I spend so much time reading blogs I forget to stitch! There could be worse hobbies!

CindyMae said...

Chars, I will tell you that I can totally understand why you are suffering from your depression at this time. Very easily! I too suffer from depression and I can totally relate to you and how you feel! I have been doing really well for the last couple years but it don't take much to send me over the edge! LOL

Anyway, I will truly enjoy reading your post about your everyday life and all! I think that is an awesome idea. It also helps to feel like you have people that are interested and do care. I do care!!! As a matter of fact, feel free to email me anytime just for a chat.

Biz said...

Hey Chars, Wow we live on different continents...yet, its like you live in my town. Granted we aren't 3 hours from shopping. It's only an hour..but that still gets hard to take. Our population is almost the same at the different times of year for the same reasons. However, where I live is almost always cold and you are almost always hot. We have winter almost 51% of our year. Then it takes so long to stop being a cold spring, that we just sort of slide right into 4-6 weeks of warm weather and right back into winter. It's depressing to say the least. But, I'll be here to lift you up and encourage you, if you'll do the same for me! :)
Cheers, biz.