Followers

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Long time - no post!

Wow - I can't believe that its been 13 days since I last blogged... Lots of days I have thought to myself - I must update my blog today with everything that I have been doing or has been happening before I know it I get distracted by something/someone and then whammo - life gets in the way again. I also have the excuse that I needed to download (and take more) photos but kept forgetting to buy batteries everytime I was near the supermarket.

Yes I finally remembered so here I am...

Now when posting a really long post I often wonder what the protocol is - Do you start in the past and work forward in time... or do you start in the present and work backwards?

I think I will start in the past and work forward - so without further ado... here is a photo of the crochet bag that I was making for my FIL's GF for her birthday... (which was April 5th) I couldn't post it without getting a photo... So now its well and truely late - oops! I am sure once she gets it she won't mind too much since its made in her favourite football team colours. Geelong Cats!!



Next here is an update on the Teddy Bear house rules that I am working on... I have worked on this every Monday night as its the UFO I am working on via the xsersufo yahoogroup.


I have actually done a bit more on it than this photo - but the light is so bad this morning that the photo is just not working....

Next after listening to much chat on a knitting yahoogroup about the 2 different styles of knitting that I would try to teach myself the other style.

For those that are not aware that there are 2 knitting techniques...

One style is called THROWING - this is where you feed the yarn in your right hand and throw the yarn around the needle. This is the way that I was taught and also the way that my mum and nans both knitted.

The other style is Continental. If you go to U-tube and search for it you will find a great tutorial showing how to do continental knitting. She makes it look sooooo easy. (I would post the link to it here but am not sure if its copy-right - so its best if you go do a search yourself) this is where you hold the yarn in your left hand and effectively scoop the yarn across.

As a crocheter holding the yarn in my left hand felt more comfortable... so I decided that I would make a dishcloth to try to practice. Just a basic square (ended up rectangle) of stocking stitch.


I was happy with the results and felt that awesome feeling of acomplishment - BUT it was so much slower than my throwing technique... and although I could see that with time I would improve speed-wise... Since I am not getting any younger and truely believe in "if it aint broke - don't fix it" - I have reverted back to throwing with my next knitting project and I am happy with the results and speed so hey thats what counts :) I think practice and more projects (and perseverance) will improve speed :)

Which brings me to my next project (funnily enough this one is not in true TIME order but thats ok - it fits in with what I am writing)

I decided that I would like to practice my knitting my making the littleset princess a few pretty cardigans...

So here is my next start... I picked a very easy pattern from the Lion brand webpage... and started at about 10pm one night... next thing I was hooked and 12:30am I forced myself to put it down and go to bed... then I picked it up the next day and done a few more rows while I was sitting at the computer reading my emails and reading blogs...

So without further ado - here is the first progress picture of my knitting...


The pattern in detail... its a simple garter stitch strip in the pale pink and deep purple and stocking stitch in the pale purple. I will try to get a better photo of the colours next time - in the above/below photo the colours appear blue.
Last Sunday I made this cute and pretty doily for a friends birthday ... can't mention which friend as she reads my blog - but I do have lots of friends that have birthdays in April... :) So if you have a birthday in April and you would class yourself as my friend - this doily might be going out to you :) Yes its going to arrive late - but hey I think you will forgive me? please?

8 comments:

Liz said...

Wow you have been busy. How do you find time to fit it all in? Your doily and bag are fab and I'm sure the recipients will think so too.

Bronny said...

So much to fit into one post! - The bag is great and sucha useful thing. Keep stitching on your UFO - it will soon graduate into a finished item! I and one of the most awkward knitters around, I hold the needle in the left hand, and the right needle stays still and I throw (literally) the yarn around - call it a hangover from being taught to knit left-handed!
I love the doily - lovely colours - but my birthday is in February, so it cannot be mine - waaaaaaahhh! (LOL) Keep up the good work - one stitch at at time becomes a work of art!

Felicity said...

Gracious me, Char! I just checked the distance from Exmouth to Perth (thinking you might like to drive down for the day while I'm over that way). What an idiot am I. LOL

CindyMae said...

Oh Char, I just love everything!!! The bag for your dads girlfriend is so cute! Great job! You have made great progress on the bears! Such a cute design. I love the dish cloth, great job warming up with you knitting! Your knitting progress is looking great! That doily is just gorgeous! I will try not to sound greedy and hopes that I am the friend it is for! LOL

Felicity said...

Hi Char
I'm definitely a thrower when I do knit which isn't often!! I'm not very good!!I did make Joshy some cardigans when he was a baby, I didn't block them and they grew with him!! he he!! they lasted for ages!

thanks for wishing me luck, im doing an early years child care course, I really enjoyed it quite worried about the exam at the end though!!!

forgot to say i like your dishcloths, i might crochet some more xx

Vicky said...

Everything looks great, you may not have blogged but you have been busy :-)

skippinginthemeadow said...

The bag you made is really sweet and the dish cloth is pretty, I like hte yarn you've used. I must check out that u-tube link.
Looking forward to seeing the cardigans progressing.
Wow!!!! the doily is beauuuutiful!!!!!
Lovely to see you back after your long break. How are you doing?
Many thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog x
Hope you and your family have a nice weekend.
Love
Sumea

Attic24 said...

Lovely to see your bag Char, it looks stunning worked with limited colour, very stripy!
Hope your FIl's GF liked it?
Thanks for sharing, and heres to many more years of Happy Hooking :o)
lucexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx