Followers

Saturday, November 14, 2009

IDEAS NEEDED?

Hi Everyone...

I've been looking around for a part time job since we arrived in Victoria and as yet have not been able to find anything that suits the hours that I am available to work...

As some of you know we have 3 toddlers (aged 3 and 2) so I can't work normal hours... ie between 7am and 7pm... as those are the hours that Andre is out of the house at work. Daycare for the toddlers is not an option simply due to the high costs involved... paying approximately $90 per day per toddler would really defeat the whole purpose of working to earn extra cash?

So I need a job that I can either a) do with the children or b) that is between the hours of 7pm and 7am... and don't forget I have to sleep sometime as everyone knows you can't sleep when toddlers are around...

I've got no formal qualifications... but have experience working in kitchens, supermarkets and can type at over 65wpm. So I have applied at all the usual places that you would expect to find work at night - Macdonalds and other fast food outlets, the supermarkets etc. NOTHING! There seems to be a distinct lack of available work at the moment for those hours and I suspect its because there are lots of families that are in similar situations to ours... and of course its always cheaper to employ the teenagers for these hours...

So - I am thinking maybe I could sell my craft work... ??? I'm thinking ETSY and MADEIT ?

I set up a MADEIT store about 6 months ago - listed some dishcloths and have had no interest? If you would like to have a look you can click here.

Now my question to you dear readers...

What types of things do you feel would sell well? what craft? What site is best... etc etc etc. ?

The thing that worries me most about selling my craft work is that I am unsure how much time I can commit to making things... and many years ago I used to sell my crochet at a local market and in a small craft shop. After awhile I got so bored with making the same thing over and over that I had to take a break from crocheting as I simply wasn't enjoying it anymore and I have only this past year been able to sit and crochet again... though when crocheting I still get alot of those feelings...

Although its fast and it looks great it just doesn't make my heart sing?

Please comment/email and give me your honest thoughts and opinions - thanks :)

7 comments:

Yoyo said...

I know times are hard for young people with children now, but it seems such a shame that you have to work. At $90 a day could you take a toddler or two and be the sitter instead of the sittee (sorry)? As for what's selling in crafts you just have to watch what others are selling and where. I rarely buy crafts since I do my own so can't be much help there. But maybe you could sell some in the local hospital gift shop, craft store, flea markets??? Hope it all works out for you.

Bronny said...

Chars, welcome to Vic - sorry I must have missed your post when you actually moved. I'm up in Pakenham (up through Dandenong, past Berwick on the way to Warragul)
As for selling craft online, don't be too disheartened - people do not anticipate paying for the time and effort that goes into items. Perhaps if your kindy has a fete, you could set up a stand then. As for permanent partime work - all I can advise is to keep trying. Have you considered offering your services as a shopper? I'm amazed at how many people dislike grocery shopping - could that be a service you could offer your new neighbours? Put a sign up in your local supermarket. Offer reasonable rates - remember to charge for your time/petrol/admin fee - you should be able to do this with the assistance of the kids. If you get 2 or more customers - you can combine the shopping lists and save time. It was something I considered setting up about oooo 15 years ago!
Anyhoo....good luck with your searching - and welcome to Beau-ee.
(you might want to check out 123stitch.com - there is a message board there with quite a few local stitchers who keep in contact through the AUSSIES message thread)

Daffycat said...

Whenever people see my crafty stuff they invariably say, "Why don't you make these and sell them?"

#1 reason why not...this is my hobby. If I have to do it it becomes work. It doesn't matter how much I like doing something, work just sucks. I'd rather keep it just a hobby and enjoy it forever.

If it were me, I'd keep looking for a suitable job or take in a child or two during the day.

Liz said...

I was going to say Childminding too. Even one would be $90 a day (not sure how much that is in £s). As for selling crafts. Do you make cards? Is there an outlet somewhere that would take your cards to sell if you made them. Or is there a company that you can "Stuff envelopes" for? or deliver leaftlets.
Other than that I can't think of anything else. Don't get too dow about selling your crafts, Like Bronny said people don't appreciate the time and effort that goes into handcrafted items and think they should get them for next to nothing. Hope you get something soon. :)

CindyMae said...

I think that taking care of a child or two in your home would be a good idea if that is something you would be interested in it. I pray that it all comes together for you!

Felicity said...

Hi Chars Im in the same boat, there's no part time work here at all! you could make little christmas decorations they might go down well, good luck with your shops! fliss xx

Meari said...

Have you tried applying at hotels as a night desk clerk? I worked at a hotel YEARS ago and my hours were 11pm to 7am.