Followers

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Trials and tribulations....

Hi everyone...

I've been feeling a bit BLAH of late - so figured that I wouldn't inflict my bad mood onto you all.

Lots of things have been happening..and I won't go into it all....  My dad is once again sick and went under the knife again yesterday - I don't know what happened yet as mum had to wait till today to talk to the doctor..

 I celebrated my 39th birthday on Feb 25th...  I received lots of nice cross stitch stash, a $25 voucher to spend at colours down under and my family took me on a shopping spree to spotlight where I was told to buy whatever I wanted.  I purchased this pattern booklet... (sorry you are going to have to turn your head to view as I just realised I forgot to fix the photos before I uploaded them....)


A couple of other pattern leaflets that I have not taken photos of... a circular knitting needle, a stitch holder and couldn't find any suitable yarn so ended up buying some elsewhere...

I started to knit this cardigan....


For my 2.5 year old daughter Xanthe..

It was really going well - Knitting was really helping with my mood and stress levels and for the first time ever I was enjoying myself - I guess with knitting its practice and confidence that improves speed and neatness of stitching?

I completed the back after having to pull it back to the armhole (miss read the pattern) and I laid it all out on the table Saturday night so that I could take photos to share with you...





I went to bed around 2am leaving everything all laid out on the table where I was photographing it...

Needless to say I woke up Sunday morning to disaster :(  I'm heartbroken. (One of the toddlers and I suspect miss 2.5 as she is the one that gets all coy and guilty looking when its mentioned.) 

 Anyway...someone with little fingers cut the finished back into a thousand pieces with scissors.  I should just be grateful I guess that they didn't hurt themselves or someone else with my scissors??


I suspect that it can rescued to by attempting to unravel it to the armhole and once again knitting that bit - 3rd time lucky? But I am unsure if I will have enough yarn...  the pattern states you need 300g for sizes 4-10 I was knitting size 4 so I am presuming I would have yarn left over but would I have enough to redo this piece of the back??  What do you guys think??  Opinions needed please!!!?

I went to the little shop where I purchased the pink and couldn't get another ball - so will see if I can source it from the other shops in the area of the same chain... if not what should I do? Take a risk on it?  Unravel it and use the yarn for something else?  At the moment it is in the too hard basket!!!

8 comments:

ShoeboxSally said...

ooooh nooooo! That is tragic - the cut-up back. Suggestions:-
1)try the Stash section on www.ravelry.com - you may need to sign in but it is free and a wonderful resource
2) Re-knit in a smaller size
3) Add a stripe, or stripes, of another colour - which may also require starting again depending on where you add the stripe/s.
Good luck

Jenny's Craft Place said...

Hi Chars, I was going to make a suggestion, but ShoeboxSally beat me to it (great minds think alike lol) I was also going to suggest listing the wool details on your blog. Good luck with it all, Jenny

Carolyn NC said...

So sorry to hear this - that's so hard after so much work was put into it. Good luck with what you decide to do. But lovely patterns and knitting to start with! :)

Lonneke said...

oh nooo!
But don't put it away. Maybe you can do the arms in a different color? Or striped? And ravelry might also be a good idea.

Daffycat said...

Oh no! What a disaster!

Kids & scissors, I tell ya! My DD once cut all the whiskers & eyebrows off our cat. She is an only child so I KNEW who did it! After that, I don't think the kid even saw another pair of scissors except at school!

Maria said...

Oh my - I shed a tear when I saw it.
Ok back to positive - I think adding a colour, just in case will get you through. Then you make something nice for yourself if there is left-overs
4-10 is such a HUGE size difference, but patterns can be so unpredictable

Karan said...

Oh no. Hope you manage to salvage some of your hard work. Can't suggest anything as I'm not a knitter.

Anonymous said...

What if you matched point the colour with a similiar shade, to make it a bit two-toned? I know most knitters would think I'm crazy, but it would make it a bit unique, right!? Since your last comment was in March, maybe its been sorted already!? Wonder what you did with it?